When Microsoft decided to end Windows 7 support, a lot of Windows users start asking questions that;
- Can I still upgrade to Windows 10 for free?
- Can I upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 for free?
- Can I still upgrade to Windows 10 for free from XP?
The simple answer is “YES“. They can still get Windows 10 free download using Microsoft free upgrade tool. no Product key, Windows activation key is required unless you are running genuine Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 on your system.
In this article, we will explain how you can upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro by using a license key from a previous business edition of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 (Pro/Ultimate).
Can I still upgrade to Windows 10 for free in 2020?
If you already are running Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 Home, Pro, or Ultimate edition, or Windows 8.x Home or Business on your system and it’s genuine, licensed, and duly activated. Then you can follow these simple steps to upgrade Windows 10 for free.
Before you start the Windows 10 upgrading process it is necessary to make sure that certain things are in order.
- First, create a backup before upgrade – You can either use Windows built-in function to create back up or use third party reliable back up software to save your system’s data.
- Secondly, you must have the original product key before you as you will use it during the upgrading process. If you have Windows 7 or Windows 8 locate its product key. If you are unable to do that then download NirSoft’s ProduKey software. This tiny tool will locate the license key for you
- Lastly, temporarily uninstall all third-party antivirus software.
HOW TO UPGRADE AN OLD PC TO WINDOWS 10
Microsoft still has assistive technologies page up and running for its customers. This allows users to upgrade Windows 10 free.
To start update process go to the Windows 10 upgrade page and follow these steps;
- Click on the “Download Tool Now” button and download the mediacreationtool.exe file.
- Now run this tool and you will see “Getting few things ready“.
- Accept the license agreement to initiate a free Windows 10 download process.
- When asked select “Upgrade this PC now”.
- If you want to upgrade Microsoft Windows on more than one machine then select “Create Installation Media“.
- You will get a clean Windows 10 install on a USB bootable drive which you can use on other PC and install the setup.
- During the upgrade process choose if you want to keep your previous data or want a clean install.
- Once the Windows upgrading process complete, head to the Settings > Update & Security > Activation Screen.
- Here you will see that your Windows is activated with a digital license.
If you previously used Microsoft account to sign in then license will automatically link it with account. It makes more easier to activate Windows 10.
How to access Windows ISO File
If you opt the first option that is “upgrade this PC now”. You will get Windows 10 ISO image file. To run this ISO file you will require a virtual drive software. You can download virtual clone drive or WinCDEmu and double-click on the file to mount Windows 10 ISO image.
On the other hand, if you have opted for the send option and choose to download Windows 10 on USB flash drive. Then you will need to create a bootable USB. You will require a USB having 12GB space.
Connect this bootable flash drive with the system on which you want to upgrade Windows 10 and double- click to start the setup.