If you receive an error message “The program can’t start because msvcp140.dll is missing from your computer” or “The code execution cannot proceed because msvcp140.dll was not found” while pening a program on Windows PC, you are in trouble.
You are seeing this error because either the msvcp140.dll is missing or got corrupted. Most of the time when users run programs or games like adobe Photoshop, apex legends, Autocad, battlefield 5, binding of Isaac, PubG, crusader king 2, dauntless, dolphin emulator, origin, Fifa 19, grim dawn, GTA V, Adobe Illustrator, insurgency sandstorm, jump force, just cause 4, the kingdom comes deliverance, little nightmares, borderlands 2, civilization 6, or skype. Ther are chances that you will see msvcp140.dll missing error.
In this article, we will explain how you can fix msvcp140.dll is missing error. We will also explain how you can download and install msvcp140.dll from sites offering the latest version of missing DLL files.
How Do We Fix msvcp140.dll was not found Error on Windows 7, 8, and 10
msvcp140.dll is a part of “Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2015” which is required to run programs developed with Visual C++ language. If this file is missing or can’t be found due to malware attack or mistakenly remove or deleted then you will see msvcp140.dll was not found an error.
Note: msvcp140.dll was not found problem can occur on Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 both 32-bit and 64-bit OS. The below mentioned fixes can be applied on any OS.
- Reinstall the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable package
- Reinstall the program or game
- Copy msvcp140.dll from another computer
- Get msvcp140.dll download from a trusted site
- Re-register the DLL file
- Run a virus scan
Solution 1 – Reinstall the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable package
As already explained the MSVCP140.dll file is part of the Visual C ++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 package. The visual studio provides Windows necessary components to run all C++ applications.
All Windows OS have a visual studio installed in it that also includes msvcp140.dll download. If you encounter msvcp140.dll was not found the problem it’s not because this DLL file is missing, instead, this file may get corrupted. So the best way to fix msvcp140.dll missing problem is to reinstall Visual C ++ Redistributable package from Microsoft website.
Luckily you can easily download this package and fix msvcp140.dll was not found issue. To do that;
1. Go to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 download page, choose the correct language, and then click Download.
2. Select the appropriate file for your Windows version i.e x64 for the 64-bit Windows version or x86 for the 32-bit version).
3. Once the file downloads, double-click on it and follow the instructions to install it.
4. Now restart Windows.
5. Now try to run the program that was giving you the msvcp140 DLL error.
How Do I Know if I’m Running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?
To download the visual studio’s right version you must know if your PC is 64-bit or 32-bit. If you know which version of Windows is running on your system then proceed with the above-mentioned solution. Otherwise, stop at step 3 and;
- Press Windows logo key and type system information in the search box, press enter.
- By default you will see system summary, here you can see what system type you have. My computer is 64-bit based PC, so I have selected the vc_redist.x64.exe file and download it by clicking Next.
If msvcp140.dll was not found or is missing error persists, don’t worry just try our next missing DLL file solution.
Solution 2 – Reinstall the program or game
As its error message says that “reinstalling the program may fix msvcp140.dll is missing problem”. Because if you used original installation media or simply reinstalled the msvcp140.dll DLL file come along with it.
To reinstall a program or game follow these steps:
- Open Control Panel. To do that press the Windows logo, type control panel, and press enter.
- You can also open the control panel by pressing Windows logo + I > apps > apps and features.
- Here you will see a list of all programs installed on your PC.
- Right-Click on the program that is causing msvcp140 DLL error and uninstalls it.
- Click yes to confirm and then restart your PC
- Again reinstall the program or game
Now run a program to see if the msvcp140.dll was not found error is fixed if you are still facing this problem try our next solution.
Solution 3 – Copy msvcp140.dll from another computer
Another simple hack to fix msvcp140.dll missing problem is to copy this DLL file from another computer and paste it in the right location of your PC.
Before you copy msvcp140.dll file you must find another computer that runs the same operating system as yours.
The versions (Windows 10/8/7) and architectures (32-bit/64-bit) of both operating systems must be the same. Also, you need a USB flash drive.
- Now press Windows logo + E key to open File Explorer and go to C:\Windows\System32 and copy the msvcp140.dll.
- Open same location i.e C:\Windows\System32 on your PC and paste msvcp140.dll
This fix will works if applied properly. Now run the program to check if the error persists otherwise proceed to our next solution.
Solution 4 – Get msvcp140.dll download from a trusted site
You can instantly fix missing DLL file problems if you download msvcp140.dll from a trusted website. The process is very simple just visit softlay.com and download the latest version of msvcp140.dll in .zip folder.
Once the download process completes extract the file. Now copy the DLL file and paste it in the system directory which is C:\Windows\System32. If it’s an individual program or game that is causing this problem then paste this file in the installation folder of that program or game.
Solution 5 – Re-register the DLL file
There are chances that msvcp140.dll is present on your computer but you may receive missing or not found an error. In that case, you need to re-register that DLL file using the command prompt. But first go to C:\Windows\System32 from file explorer to check if your system has msvcp140.dll. Once sure follow these steps;
- Open Command Prompt as administrator and enter these commands and press enter.
- To register a DLL file type regsvr32 “path & filename of dll”
- To re-register all DLL files type for %1 in (*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %1
It will surely fix msvcp140.dll was not found error on Windows 10, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
Solution 6 – Run a virus scan
If your computer is malware-infected then that malware or virus may prevent the DLL file from being detected. That’s the reason you are seeing msvcp140.dll is missing error message.
Windows 10 has a built-in Windows defender tool but its unable to detect advanced malware. So you need to download an antivirus tool and run a full scan. The Malwarebytes, McAfee, Norton Security Deluxe are reliable antimalware tools.
After the scan, if they found any malware or virus remove them and then restart your PC. Now run the concerned program or game.
With these conclude how do we fix msvcp140.dll not found or is missing error message. You don’t need to apply all of them just try each until everything is working again. If we have missed any fix then do inform us via comment section.